Professional Video Game Localization Services
If you are a video game developer ─ startup or giant business ─ please listen. We’ve got a few questions for you. No real exam, don’t worry! Further, we’ll do it the way you like ─ Multiple choice exams!
Question #1: Which of the following statements proves that the video game industry is booming and blooming all over the world?
Question #2: As a video game developer, how can you jump from your current market position in the local market to number one or two (one is better!) in the global arena?
1. By providing the end-users of my games with fascinating user experience.
2. By enhancing the user experience of gamers across the globe and immersing them into my video games.
Question #3: How will you achieve this? What are the used tools?
1. Since my goal is to introduce my company’s video game to global markets, it’s time to localize it.
2. I guess I would seek the support of an expert partner who specializes in languages and culture to create a tailored user experience for my prospective customers.
3. By partnering with a professional provider of video game localization services that will consider the different languages, different cultures, and different gaming habits of the different customers that I’m targeting.
4. Since delivering a single version of my gaming product is an inferior strategy for my company’s market share, I have to partner with a video game localization company that creates a fascinating experience for the users of my product across the globe.
And now, as everyone is crowding around, excited and eager to know the right answers, we’re sorry to say that the exam will continue for some more time and some more questions. However, suffice it, for now, to focus on three important things.
First, gaming products are developed from a cultural context.
Second, video game localization is all about adapting and tailoring that context to suit another, specific audience.
Third, for any game product, if you want to cross the border and take it to international markets, the only solution ─ which is also the only right answer to the above questions ─ is called video game localization services.
So, in what way are they useful?
Benefits of Video Game Localization
Continuing our tough multiple-choice exam, but it’s time to ask an important question.
Question #4: Which of the following statements provides the right reason for you to localize your game?
1. To increase sales. To achieve this, I’ve got to choose the languages into which I’ll be translating my game product. This depends on which game and which platform.
2. To increase downloads. To achieve this, I need to enlarge and broaden the market for my game, which is done only by localizing it.
3. To stay competitive in the market. If my product is localized too late, my competitors will get the whole pie.
4. To improve user experience. I can’t ignore the huge number of gamers in such non-English-speaking European countries as Germany, France and Italy where my prospects prefer games in their native language. I also can’t close my eyes to such countries as Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and other countries with large game populations. Thus, with professional video game localization, I can catch the local context in every territory.
5. To rank high in the App Store. If my game is professionally localized, users will be giving positive feedback. This wonderful feedback from various countries will get the App Store to notice and consider my product. Therefore, my game will have a higher chance of showing up in App Store searches.
6. All the above benefits!
What is the Video Game Localization Process?
When it comes to this question, we’re not going to do it multiple choice! Rather, the right answer should now be given outright.
At LatinoBridge, our video game localization process goes this way:
1- Project Assessment
We always start with assessing our client’s video game to know the extent of the needed localization as well as the best ways to meet the requirements ─ in terms of timeline and specs.
2- Extraction of User Interface Content
This step is fundamental. Our engineers set about preparing for translation by locating such translatable elements as item descriptions, dialogue boxes, commands, menus, sound or video clips as well as content from demo versions and tutorials. In this phase, hard-coded text and concatenated strings are identified.
Now we need to make sure that all translatable content has been captured and to highlight all internationalization issues within the game. To achieve this, we conduct a pseudo-translation and a testing step of the UI.
4- Leveraging Translation Memory
Before translation, we have to make use of prior translations to maintain consistency in terminology and style between the different games that belong to the same series. To do this, we, at LatinoBridge, run extracted game content though existing translation memories.
5- Translation of User Interface & Multimedia
Then our translators embark upon translating the content in a way that pays full attention to the culture and preferences of the target audience. At this stage, our team usually works closely with our client’s design and development teams to choose culturally relevant adaptations of graphics, images and the user interface elements. This phase aims to make the finally localized version compelling and enthralling.
6- Resizing the User Interface and Dialog Box
Afterwards, our localization engineers resize the user interface (UI) elements to ensure that the foreign version of each user interface displays correctly.
7- Video Game Testing
Then, our team will test the translated interface for accuracy and correct display on the target platforms. This stage also includes the elimination of all potential technical or linguistic errors that might have emerged following the implementation of localized content.
8- Customer Review, Feedback and Implementation of Their Feedback
The customer gives his feedback, and we implement all of their finetuning and comments into the target localization.
Then all the localized resources are delivered ready for final packaging and distribution.
Back to our multiple-choice exam, we’re ending with a logical question.
Final Question: Which of the following six answers is the reason why LatinoBridge has been the video game localization company of choice for local, regional and global game developers for ten years?
1. Because our ten years of experience make it possible for LatinoBridge to deliver world-class, custom-made solutions that enable our client’s game product to reach its full potential.
2. Our clients always count on us regardless of the type of video game that needs to be localized. This is because our teams work with all genres, platforms and distribution channels.
3. We hold all the keys to success in the sphere of video game localization ─ a talented team, top-notch technology, hands-on experience, ISO-certified quality assurance system, and customized Workflows. Did we say how we’ve always shattered the record in turnaround time and prices?
4. All the above reasons!